Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Medical Records

So the Big Boss of America wants the health care industry to get into the nineties already and do their record keeping on computers. That leads to my own big boss drafting me to lead the charge at our own local health care outpost. Don't send any congratulatory notes just yet though. I didn't get promoted to the IT department to implement vast subterranean data silos and super slick wrist watch data input devices for the docs.

I'm just the guy who has to build the shelves.

Shelves? Yeah. The plan for our hospital is to just try and get all the paper records all in one place and then slowly send the oldest ones out to get scanned until the pile is all gone. Brilliant.

So just how many shelves is that going to take?

My morning's work with a tape and calculator in the dusty archives produced the answer.

3,465 running feet of shelf space.

My task is to convert half an old auditorium in an off site building into a records room and figure out how to cram that much shelf space in there. The three foot wide, six shelf high units that we have some of already were my starting point. After a bit of scratching around I figured out how to cram 194 of them into a 32' by 50' space and still have the required three foot aisles in between. That's eight more than the target. Gold star for the electrician!

My only hope is that I'm the guy that gets to build the storage space for all the CD-ROMs when they're done. I'm thinking about a three foot long walnut shelf with hand carved scroll-work and brass hobnails. Maybe I'll commission a local artist to create a couple hobbit book ends for a finishing touch.


Subscribe in a reader Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

  1. Damn Cuz! did you learn those math skills at good ole ACS? Way to go Mr. Graham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Hi !.
    You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
    There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
    The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
    Do you want to become really rich in short time?
    That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

    I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
    I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
    It`s easy to start , just click this link http://adadelyzak.ibnsites.com/aqujys.html
    and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 AM

    Hi there!
    I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

    For quite a long time, I earn money with the help of these programs.
    I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
    Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my web site to get additional info.

    http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean...