Thursday, October 23, 2008

To Love And Be Loved

To love and be loved is the greatest joy in the world. Can't remember who's famous for having said that and couldn't locate it on Google either. My whole life, even before I was aware of it I wanted nothing more than to find a wife and raise a family. Now that I'm there, all the other aspirations I've ever had have been moved to the back seat. Actually they way back, as it used to be called in station wagon days, there's car seats in the back seat nowadays. All that stuff is comfortable back there and I may even get to some of it some day.

The pleasant surprise this week was being reminded that beyond the wondrous love within the circle of my family, there's more. Professional courtesy and the respect of my peers is nice and all, but finding myself reminded that I'm surrounded by real friends was a welcome boost to my spirits.

Some of them are just so solid in their friendship that not a word has to be said about it. It's apparent that whenever possible they'll do whatever they can for me, and it's silently acknowledged that I would do the same. And then there's the rare occasion that all this is confirmed with a hug and an actual, out loud, "I love you". Yeah... big strong man that I am, I get all brittle unless I hear it out loud pretty frequently. My family's great about that, you know you're loved around here. Having friends that will lay it on me occasionally is the icing on the cake.

It's such a good feeling to be completely un-bothered by the events around me. We're broke? The economy's busted? The election's crazy? The car's making a funny noise?

Don't care.

I'm loved, the rest of it doesn't matter.

Subscribe in a reader Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

  1. pass some love this way CUZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know lovin is what I got for all descendants of Jack and Mary McCarthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE
    is
    at
    the
    top
    for
    sure.
    GREAT POST.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean...