Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine To My Wife

Valentine To My Wife

I didn’t get anything for my wife this year. She doesn’t mind because it’s a slow month and she’d rather have electricity than roses. She’s the industrious sort, not that she’s without her romantic side. Lucky for me, my girl’s idea of a romantic getaway is to have the kids in bed by 8 pm and take a bottle of wine and some snacks to the back yard.

Something she’s wrestled with is the fact that she’s truly come into her own as an adult, and yet is a stay at home mom. Don’t get me the least bit wrong, she’s fiercely proud of the job and pursues it wholeheartedly. You wouldn’t believe the amount of reading and research she does. And on top of all she does, she still finds time to volunteer at church and extensively for Habitat for Humanity, as well as lend a hand to at least half a dozen other moms in the area and cook dinner for anybody that needs it.

So, while other people in their late twenties or early thirties are out conquering the world, she’s conquering our home and children and it makes my mind reel when I stop to take in all that she does. In addition to wrangling three of the brightest and most active (also cunning, michevious and persistant) children I know, she also manages to be the Queen of the following activities. P.S. No slight intended to our friends, they have brought forth quite a batch of exceptional young’uns.

She was already a fabulous cook when I met her and she’s been perfecting her craft steadily ever since. With the continued addition of short people to our roster, she’s constantly creating ever more interesting fare on an ever shrinking budget. We’re some lucky eaters at my house and I shake my head in disbelief when the short people turn up their noses and ask for peanut butter and jelly, but what do they know about good eats anyway, they haven’t been exposed to school lunch yet to have a real basis for comparison.

She’s steadily gaining on being an accomplished baker of bread. For those of you who don’t know is a completely different area of the kitchen arena from any other sort of baking. Persuading yeast to make sweet love to sugar and take some other ingredients along for the ride is high art, and when successfully done, makes those factory produced loaves on the shelves at the store seem like… I don’t know, the unloved bastard children of the bread world.

She knits. It started out as just a diversion, making a hat or scarf for a friend to keep her hands occupied on the couch at night. Lately she’s taken to making sweaters, child sized ones only at the moment, but they’re flying off her needles with a frequency that’s quite frankly astounding to me. She clicks away for a few nights and suddenly, pop, she’s holding up her latest creation for me to acknowledge its factor of cuteness. The scope of this feat is truly amazing. When you consider how cheap and flimsy factory made clothes are, and when I look at sweaters my kids wear that my mom made for my brother and I, I stand in awe of the simple act of tying knots in yarn and how the product is able to traverse generations. Those sweaters are going to be like little love telegrams from Grandma when they get passed on to our grandkids. Fortunately for them my wife also has a keen sense for design and they’re likely to still be fashionable by that time.

I won’t even get started on her wit. It’s quite possibly the sharpest thing in the known universe. Grizzled old men tremble at her approach, saucy youths find themselves put firmly in their places by her briefest utterance, and I get at least one good belly laugh from her commentary on a daily basis.

Those are just some of the big ones that I can think of at this late hour. Her love and generosity are seemingly without bounds. Her love of learning and questing for perfection make me want to better myself every time I see her at work. And it is work folks. I may do most of the heavy lifting around here, but every time I spend the day at home, alone, with the kids I’m whupped.

Now go hug your wife and tell her how amazing she is. And if you don’t have one yet, file this away so you know what to watch for. It’s easy to become blind to the brilliance that’s right in front of you every day.

1 comment:

Keep it clean...